Covid-19 Pandemic Response – VZ Members
The IBEW & CWA have been working hard with Verizon to reach agreements to protect our members, while at the same time maintaining our network. We have made the following agreements:
Work from Home:
Members who work an inside desk job, who have the required broadband service at their residence, who requests to work at home, have been allowed to do so. At this time, more than 90% of eligible employees have chosen to work from home. If you have any issues, please call the Union office.
Leave of Absence:
Members may be eligible for a LOA related to COVID-19 for up to 26 weeks. There are 4 scenarios for this leave:
- For those medically diagnosed with COVID-19
- For those with an underlying condition (their own or a household member) who are unable to work from home.
- For those with childcare or eldercare issues
- For those caring for a person diagnosed with COVID-19
Please CLICK HERE to read the agreement.
Members who exhaust 26 weeks of paid leave may be eligible for an unpaid COVID-19 Leave.
How to Apply for a Covid-19 LOA
To apply for a Leave of Absence from a company computer, tablet or phone,
access the COVID-19 Resource Page on the VZ E-Web.
If you are unable to access the VZ E-Web use one the links below:
- If you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 Click Here to apply for Leave
- If you or a household member has an underlying health condition Click Here to apply for Leave
*You will need these two forms for an underlying condition: Form 1 Form 2
- If you have childcare or eldercare issues Click Here to apply for Leave of Absence
- If you are caring for a person diagnosed with COVID-19 Click Here to apply for Leave of Absence
Effective April 16, 2020 – COVID-19 – Community Medical Support Leave
- In light of federal, state, and municipal calls for medically-trained individuals to support in responding to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Company will enable medically-trained associates (e.g., doctors, nurses, EMT’s) providing such medical support to take a leave of absence in one week intervals of up to 8 weeks with pay at their basic hourly rate and up to 18 weeks with pay at 60% of their basic hourly rate (subject to termination at any time during the 26 week period if/when the associate ceases or curtails work supporting the COVID-19 response effort.)
- Gather the necessary documents to support your application. You will need to upload documents verifying the following with your request for leave:
- Your medical certification
- Call for Community Medical Support (advertisement, letter, etc.)
- Confirmation of acceptance at a facility in alignment with the Call for Community Medical Support
- Name and location of the facility where you will be providing medical services
- Description of medical services you will be providing while on leave
- Confirmation of pay/non-pay
- Complete the COVID-19 Community Medical Support Leave Request form and attach the above documentation.
- You and your supervisor will be notified within 24 hours of decision.
If approved and once you complete your assignment providing COVID-19 Community Medical Support, Verizon will require that you work from home for 14 days before returning to Verizon facilities. If you are unable to work from home, please notify your HR Business Partner, and they can work with you to implement a 14-day quarantine leave.
Please CLICK HERE to read the agreement.
Eligible employees may be allowed to bring their work vehicles home.
Talks will continue between the IBEW, CWA, and Verizon to extend the agreement beyond this date.
The IBEW & CWA have negotiated a new Bonus Agreement with Verizon for employees who are not eligible to work from home during the Covid-19 Pandemic. Under the agreement, members who are unable to work from home will receive a weekly bonus of $300 per week. This amount may be renegotiated, but will not be less than $300 per week.
Also, Verizon will pay bonuses to these same employees who are on leave of absence because of a medically diagnosed case of COVID 19, or directed to self-quarantine either by Verizon, or a doctor or government official, because of a suspected case of COVID 19.
This bonus ended July 4, 2020
Agreement for 401k Withdrawl without penalty:
Please CLICK HERE to read the agreement
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Agreement:
The Company will offer employees a one-time waiver of the repayment obligation under the Tuition Assistance Plan (TAP) for employees enrolled in a course(s) with an end date from March 1, 2020 through July 31, 2020, who drops, fails or withdraws from a course(s) due to a COVID-19 related reason. The cost of these courses will not be applied against the annual tuition cap.
Employees seeking the waiver will be required to complete a COVID-19 TAP One-Time Waiver request form.
Please CLICK HERE to view the COVID-19 TAP FAQ
Backup Childcare / Eldercare
Effective Saturday, May 16, 2020, Bright Horizons will no longer be the administrator for the Emergency Backup Care Reimbursement program. This program provides reimbursement of up to $15 per hour, $100 per day, for backup care for dependent children, elder family members, adults with special needs, or other household members when there is a temporary breakdown in normal care arrangements, to allow employees to report to work.
To request a reimbursement you must be on a device connected to the VZ network.
Please CLICK HERE to request reimbursement.
We will continue to keep you updated as things change. Please call the Union office with any questions or problems. 617-929-6000. HANG TOUGH!