Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, both the Morning Informational Meeting
Monthly Union Meeting
scheduled for Wednesday, October 7th
have been canceled.
Both the Executive Board Meeting and the C.O.P.E. Meeting will be held via video conference. Please call the Union office if you have any questions. Stay Safe – Hang Tough!
The IBEW & CWA reached an agreement with Verizon to extend the Work at Home Agreement through January 31, 2021. Click HERE to read the agreement.
We have also reached an agreement to extend Home Garaging through October 31, 2020. Click HERE to read the agreement. Talks will continue between the IBEW, CWA, and Verizon to extend the agreement beyond this date.
The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers is offering a series of virtual events and Zoom video conference webinars to engage IBEW women as activists and leaders. While this virtual event cannot replace our in-person International Women’s Conference that was canceled due to the COVID pandemic, we hope that you will take advantage of this unique opportunity. The virtual events will take place from Friday, October 9, 2020, through Saturday, October 24, 2020.
The event will open with a kick-off session on Friday, October 9, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, and other associated events will be available on the dates listed below: (Please note all times listed are Eastern Standard Time).
• Saturday, October 10, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Leadership Workshops
• Saturday, October 17, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Tradeswomen Build Nations Virtual Conference
• Sunday, October 18, 7:00 p.m. Reader’s Theater, Poetry, Reading & Open Mic
• Friday, October 23, 1:00 p.m. 3:00 p.m. Women’s Committees Workshops
• Saturday, October 24, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Anti-Discrimination & Anti-Harassment Workshops
There is no registration fee to participate in the virtual events. Advance registration for the kickoff event is available here.
The United Way works to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone — individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies.
We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success. Specifically:
- Financial Opportunity: Ensuring that all families have safe housing, healthy food, and quality childcare; that they have jobs that allow them to support themselves and their families; and that they have access to financial tools and coaching to help build a better future.
- Educational Success: Preparing children so they can enter school ready to learn, develop critical social and academic skills, and get the support they need to stay in school and graduate.
You are the key to making this shared vision a reality. Your gifts become critical funding for ground-breaking initiatives and best-in-class partnerships with nonprofit agencies throughout our region. Your time and talents fuel the engine for change, and your friends, family, and colleagues are the army of difference-makers who positively impact lives.
THAT’S WHAT IT MEANS TO LIVE UNITED.
Please join us in supporting the United Way – Click Here to donate.
In order to receive a $100 credit towards your health insurance for 2021, you will need to complete the Health Assessment. The Health Assessment must be completed, even if you have completed it in the past.
- To ensure your credit is reflected in your first check of 2021, you must complete the Health Assessment no later 12/1/20
- If you complete the Health Assessment after 12/1/20 but before 12/31/20 you will receive full credit for 2021, but this will not be reflected in the first few pay periods.
- Health Assessments completed in 2021 will result in a prorated credit.
To complete the Health Assessment visit the VZ EWeb
2021 Open Enrollment
The Open Enrollment period for insurance electives for 2021 will be Tuesday, October 6, 2020 – Thursday, October 15, 2020. The enrollment guides will be mailed at the end of September.
Most 2020 elections will automatically carry over for 2021:
- Tobacco/Non-tobacco user designation
- New Election – Intend to complete cessation course required for tobacco users to be able to get full credit in 2021 (7/31 cutoff)
- Otherwise, tobacco users who complete a cessation course in 2021 are eligible for a prorated credit.
- Spending Account contribution (Health Care & Dependent Care)
- The Health Assessment Credit will not carry over – Please see above
Too often anti-worker politicians want to eliminate everything we worked for. They think we won’t notice. They think they won’t pay a price for turning their backs on working people.
The best way to hold these politicians
accountable is to vote.
Together IBEW members can demand the politicians protect our jobs, our retirement, and our union.
For members with college-aged students, remember you must certify your dependent child is a full-time student when they reach 19 years of age. If you fail to do so, they will lose their dental and vision insurance on December 31st of the year of their 19th birthday.
To certify Full-Time Student Status:
- Log in to the Verizon Benefits Connection Website
- Click on Life Events
- Click on Adding Dependent Child
- Choose Attainment of FT Student Status
If you have any problems or questions please call the Union office 617-929-6000
The Union negotiated New England Work & Family Committee is pleased to offer a free Estate Planning Kit to our VZ members.
Estate planning can be an overwhelming, time-consuming task that shouldn’t be avoided. This kit will break down the necessary steps to put your estate in order and make difficult times easier for your loved ones. The Estate Planning Basics provides guidance and direction to planning areas such as wills, beneficiaries, living trusts, probate, retirement plans, estate tax, and lawyers. This book explains how to make a plan and carry it to completion, and includes access to Nolo’s Wills, Trusts and Probate center, where you’ll find hundreds of articles and FAQs, and useful legal forms. A unique page is also available online with legal updates pertaining to just this book.
Now that you are on your way to creating an estate plan, it’s important to have a way to store and keep track of the important documents you and your family will need. This NEW&F Document Holder is the perfect solution. A heavy-duty document holder will keep your documents safe and damage-free. It features ten expandable file pockets to organize the documents you need to store or carry with you. Everything you need in one convenient place! Click the link above to order.